Request you to kindly drop in all your mails/queries to support@infraline.com or call us at
+91-120-6799125 (D); +91-120-6799100 (B)

Bangalore: More solar, wind capacity to meet energy deficit

  • To meet future demands and tide over deficits the state, needs to add substantially to its wind and solar power capacity in the next six years, says a research by city-based National Institute of Advanced Sciences (NIAS). Compared to the average electricity deficit of two per cent in 2006-2007, Karnataka's average energy deficit went up to 10 per cent in 2014, with the maximum energy deficit of 20 per cent occurring in April. According to an assessment by NIAS in collaboration with the Power System Operation Corporation, the annual deficit is expected to reach 17 per cent by 2022. "The extent of deficit in Karnataka is substantial, leading not only to inconveniences, but also to economic losses. These deficits have to be substantially reduced to allow the economy of the state to grow faster," said the authors from NIAS.

  • To tide over this, they have recommended that by 2022, without any storage, the state should add 3400 to 3700 MW in wind capacity and 2700 to 2900 MW in solar capacity. "This would increase the renewable installed capacity from 18 per cent of total installed capacity to 32-34 per cent in that year and the contribution they will make to the state's energy will reduce the projected deficits by 52 per cent," it says. When a storage facility is available, wind and solar installation can be increased, said the team. Accordingly, with storage, they have estimated that an additional 8000-8700 MW of wind and 3300-3500 MW of solar installation would reduce the annual deficit by approximately three-fourths.

  • The method developed estimates expected hourly deficits in 2022 from projected unrestricted demands and expected availability from conventional sources. The researchers further estimate that if a storage capacity of 1500 to 1200 MW, capable of generating for six hours, is made available, it will reduce the annual deficits by another 10 per cent. This, according to the NIAS research team, will offer greater flexibility to the system operator, enabling power supply during hours of deficit and storing energy during hours of surplus generation.

Registered user use 'Login Manager' (Download) or 'Login Button' on upper right corner as the case may be (Explain?)  
 
Email Id/Login Name :  
 

Only Subscribed User can access full content

   Take a Free Trial - Click Here